Saturday, September 27, 2008

Autumn's Here... To knit or not to knit? Autumn creations and craft shows

While it still hasn't felt much like Autumn, with the exception of a few days, Autumn is here. The start of my Autumn craft show schedule is less than a week away and I still haven't found any incentive to sit down and knit now that summer is a memory.
Normally at this time of year, I'm knitting when I'm not at my craft table. But this year, I just don't feel up to it. I know I have a supple of scarves to start off with from last winter, but I should be at least planning which yarns I'm using to create with, but there is little urge to even open up the trunk filled with skeins of yarn.
Luckily, it doesn't look like the weather will change much this coming week and it's probably pointless to bring my scarves to my show next Saturday. But come the end of October, the warm weather will have disappeared and handmade scarves/hats will begin to sell... and I'll have a limited inventory.

I spent a few hours promoting on Etsy today and even snagged a treasury featuring a small portion of the EtsyNJ team ( http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=11421 )
I think I spent more time promoting on Etsy this past month, than I spent in the 2 previous months and yet, sales remained very sluggish. Even the views for my items seemed fairly low and I suppose the buyers are just not shopping much or not shopping while I'm promoting (though I did sell a couple of items in the last couple of days) Hopefully things pick up a bit as we get closer to the holidays!

My craft show schedule for October is finalized and my first show will be this weekend. The Eagleswood Country fair is usually fairly well attended and while it isn't only a craft show (cars, many activities for the children, food, etc) there seemed to many potential customers stopping by my table last year. Hopefully the turnout is the same and maybe it'll be a bit cooler than last year.
Eagleswood is found by taking the GSP to exit 58 (Little Egg Harbor/Tuckerton) and follow the signs shortly after exiting the Parkway. Same goes for Rt 9. Go south past Manahawkin and then follow the signs. There is always a l;ot of signage and all you'll need to do is follow the cars to find the show.

My latest creation should go on Etsy tomorrow or Monday and it's a Copper Butterfly necklace. The necklace compliments the bracelet by the same name very well. I've also put together a couple of new items, that will probably not go into my Etsy craft listings.

I'll try to post between the craft show and the following week, when I go away to Delaware for the North American Sea Glass Confer.

'til next time...
R

No comments: